July 12, 2016 § Leave a comment
Credits: Splendid Finn Now is paper in blue; zigzag stitching by shabbymissjenndesigns; Splendid Finn 4ever striped ribbon and pennets
It’s been a while… Can I tell you that I am still not spending enough time in the kitchen? So much for comfort zones and “everydays”. It’s just been a bustling kind of year for us. We’ve started a bed and breakfast up north (will write about that shortly), we just got back from a rejuvenating trip from the Holy Land, and we’ve gone on a diet since.
Nothing to do with the Holy Land, our diet, but more of a healthy resolution to keep our blood sugar and cholesterol in check. Recent check ups called for it, that’s why. So here’s sharing one of the winners (slightly tweaked from here) served on our table recently.
It’s a flavourful salad of smoked duck breast paired with a punch of a mildly sweet blueberry dressing that definitely qualified as mainstays on our table.
Arugula Salad With Smoked Duck Breast, Berries, and Hazelnuts
What You’ll Need
- 2 large handfuls Arugula
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Champagne Vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup dried berries (I used wild blueberries)
- 2 tbsp coco sugar
- 1 smoked duck breast, cold, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, roasted and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup very sharp, good aged Cheddar or Gouda
- Sea Salt
What You Do
- Place the dried arugula in a bowl and set aside.
- Place the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, sugar, and berries in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir with a whisk until warm (not boiling – 3 minutes or so).
- Pour over the arugula, sprinkle with a little salt, and toss to coat.
- Place the arugula on a plate and top with the duck slices.
- With a vegetable peeler, peel thin slices of the cheddar or gouda over the salad.
- Top with the chopped hazelnuts and a little extra dressing. Sprinkle with a little salt.